(Please click HERE for the original document)
Let us begin by extending our thanks to all of you for your support, patience and co-operation in observing the lodging policy released on 15th February 2022. You have demonstrated great care for each other, flexibility and strength over the past two months. We thank you for helping to maintain our student halls/colleges as safe places during the pandemic.
As the government will relax some of the social distancing restrictions from 21st April in three phases, we write to provide important updates.
- The lodging policy that has been in effect since 15th February 2022 will mostly be lifted beginning 21st April 2022.
- In general, students can resume most of the activities (including but not limited to dining with friends, and undertaking non-academic related part-time jobs) on condition that:
a. They meet the requirements of the HKU vaccine pass unless they have a certified medical exemption
b. They will observe government and HKU regulations on infectious disease control, on matters such as face masks, vaccine pass, and social distancing. Students must also observe particular regulations of halls/colleges (e.g., hall may allow only 4-user at a time in using any music room)
- Students can visit their families subject to the following conditions:
a. Students meet the requirements of the HKU vaccine pass unless they have a certified medical exemption
b. There is no family member who is currently infected by Covid-19 or regarded as a close-contact by the Center of Health Protection. If there is a family emergency that requires your presence, please seek permission from your Warden/Master.
- The residents who moved out in February can apply to return to the halls/colleges for the remaining semester (normal lodging fee will apply) subject to availability.
- “No visitor to halls/colleges” policy will remain in place until further notice.
- The current isolation floors in halls/colleges for individuals who are Covid-19 test-positive or close contacts will be retained until the end of August 2022.
Hall/College common facilities
- Common areas and facilities (e.g., study room, exercise area, music room) at the halls/colleges may reopen for activities from 21st April in a gradual and safe manner (e.g., regular cleaning, mask on, using hand-sanitizer). All users of halls/colleges facilities must adhere to the operational guidelines which will follow the latest government policy.
- Halls/colleges will be open for Summer Residences which will cover the period from 1st June to 5th August 2022. In each hall/college, the total occupancy (current residents, new places for returning residents [note 4] and summer residences) can reach up to 80% of its normal lodging capacity.
- Current residents (including those who left in February 2022) of halls/colleges are eligible to apply for summer residences subject to availability.
- Other students could be admitted for summer residences on a case-by-case basis subject to approval by the Warden/Master. Please note that the prospective residents who have returned from overseas must make their own arrangement for quarantine and self-monitoring (per government regulations at that time) before they move to the HKU student residences.
- All residents must meet the requirements of the HKU vaccine pass unless they have a certified medical exemption.
- In terms of number of places in each hall/college, we aim at reaching at least 80% of the residence capacity by the commencement of the Fall semester or resuming the normal 100% (where we no longer have the isolation floors) if the Covid-19 situation is under control in Hong Kong.
Meanwhile, please continue to stay vigilant and observe government and university regulations on infectious disease control. Take good care of yourself and observe public health and hygiene rules at your halls/colleges. Thank you very much.
Professor Ian Holliday, VP/T&L
Professor Samson Tse, DoSA
HKU policy on vaccine pass